Monday, April 26, 2010

Teacher's Interview

For this project I chose to interview a relative of mine who teaches Third Grade.
1)What inspired you to become a teacher?
I came from a family where both parents work for the Department of Education, and as a child I enjoyed having my parents involved with my education. Therefore this inspired me to become a teacher and be apart of as many student's education as I could. I feel that when someone is involved in a students education and guide them in the right direction that they will have a positive outlook on their future.
2)What type of technology do you use in your classroom?
Well, not as much as I would like to use. I do have tv, dvd, vcr, and a personal computer. My students go to a computer lab to practice their math and reading skills with a special program on a computer, but this is outside of the classroom. She explained that she has learned that using devices/tools other than books and chalkboards keep the kids interested in the curriculum. Also kids tend to learn more when things are hands on.
3) I showed her a couple of the blog posts where student's blog and make videos and asked her if it was available to her would she get her students to blog?
She did admit that she never blogged before and would have to look further into the subject.
4) I then explained to her what "technology illiterate" meant. Then I asked her was she "technology literate or technology illiterate"?
After looking over what tools and requirements of the EDM 310 class, she assumed that she was "technology illiterate." She did want to add that she was active on "Facebook!"
5) For the last question I asked does she think teachers should be technology literate?
I believe it would be an advantage to be caught up on technology, but I do not believe it is actually a necessity to be a teacher. Although, not wanting to contradict myself, you can not be a teacher without knowing how to operate some of the basic technologies. Times are changing and I believe that schools will not evolve as fast as technology, but will manage to keep up in their own ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment