Sunday, February 7, 2010

Fourth Post

Mr. McClung's World:
This was assigned to me for my Comments for Kids week. Mr. McClung's post topic was "Lessons Learned". He fist begins talking about how they have received a large amount of snow in the Mid-West. I commented on how I was actually jealous because living in the south we really do not see snow! His second lesson talked about the "Air Mouse" which as i explained that i would have to go explore this to actually see what it was and how it would be useful, but Mr. McClung's believes that it is a must if you are a teacher. Now on the third and final lesson McClung talks about Facebook and how he involved his students and this expanded his classroom. He tells a short story of how he helped his students better understand a quiz by talking to them after school hours on facebook. I commented that facebook is a popular site and involving his students was a wonderful idea, and most likely these students took in more information over the net than they did in the classroom where they tend to tune out some subjects and begin to day dream.
More Podcasts:
I watched a few videos from Langwitchs Blog. The one that mainly stood out to me was Flat Stanley podcast by first graders. The reason it stood out to me was because I remember doing this assignment when I was in third grade. I also made a paper doll which I named "Flat Lisa" and sent it to some of my family out of state, who then took pictures with Flat Lisa and sent them back to me so I could then put a project together and present to my class. These kids were amazing telling their stories of becoming flat and being sent around the world! They expressed so much emotion that kept me interested in their podcast the entire time! I could not stop smiling while listening to this because I was shocked that these kids picked a place, researched it, and made up this exciting story of this wonderful place and their adventures. The teacher of these students explained that they need to use all 5 senses to tell their story: tell what they saw, how they felt, how it smelt, how it sounded, and if they tasted anything weird. This podcast was not just a few minutes long and did not include a few students; it took time to listen to every student's story of adventure in this elementary class. You can tell that each student really enjoyed this assignment, and just like me will remember it for the rest of his/her life. This is actually a podcast that I would love to save to my computer or something and play to my children for a bedtime story or on a rainy day it is that awesome! This podcast taught me how I also need to capture the interest of my future listeners of my podcast: to be energetic, and show my interest in the subject, and to make sure to explain to my listeners every detail so that they will also be interested and will be able to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment