Sunday, February 14, 2010

Fifth Post


Wikipedia
My thoughts on Wikipedia are the same as i have always been instructed; I believe Wikipedia is not a reliable source, and I do not see the significance in it when you have Google. If anyone can change the information on any topic giving on Wikipedia, why would a person even want to start their search there? In my opinion it is no better than a blog site, if one person does not like the information given they can easily change it to fit there opinion/facts and same goes with the next person who visits the same site, but in the end everyone can put in a say on the matter.
This is the first i have heard about the Wikipedia Scanner, but seriously what is the purpose of it? Yes, you do get to find out who made the alteration to the information, but what more can you do to the people other than point your finger and say "they did it." It is interesting to find out that big companies play a roll in the alterations and this might even make them lose their respect to some people. But i have to say that i am not one to search on Wikipedia, and if i ever did it would be hard to make me believe what i read and i would always have to back it up with more reliable searches.
Mr McClung's first year
I really enjoyed reading Mr. McClung's post. As a future educator i always dream of that first day on the job with my own classroom and all my new students, but with these notes i believe my first year will go better! I have this perfect picture in my head, but i know as well as everyone else it never plays out the way it does in your own head. This is some information i would print off and keep with me to read throughout the year, and probably add too with other advise from teacher friends.
Comment for Kids
For my comments for kids this week i had a boy that had to do a social studies project. He had to build something to represent his topic and then record his presentation as he gave it in class. I found this interesting because he put his presentation on his blog, and this is something he will always remember because it is a hands on experience. I explained to him that i was not into social studies and that i was more of a math girl, but i did remember this one time when i was in 7th grade my whole class made this huge cookie and took icing to draw all major rivers on it, and that i could mostly remember all those rivers and where they were on the cookie because it was a fun, hands-on learning experience.

3 comments:

  1. Sandra,
    I agree with you on the Wikipedia post. I do not use Wikipedia very often, and it is interesting to see who is altering the posts, but I do hope people are backing up their information with other reliable sources. On Mr. Clung's post, I really enjoyed reading it as well. I teach sixth grade now and have been teaching for 3 years. I commented on his post and told him about my first year teaching. We had a lot in common!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra,

    You are correct about how valuable it is to hear about another teacher's experiences and then adding to them with your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I agree that Wikipedia is not a very good source to use. I was taught that way all through school and I still do not use it when I am doing a project or paper. I also agree that Google is just as easy to use to get information on what you are looking for. Good job!

    ReplyDelete