Sunday, January 31, 2010

Third post

Smart Board Lessons Podcast
I enjoyed this podcast, but in my opinion he should have not been ordering coffee while recording. I do believe that every teacher should know how to use a smart board and actually use it in the class room. As a student i have never seen one in-use before so it was interesting to get to learn about a smart board. I enjoyed animation during the podcast, it kept my interest.
Kid cast
I listened to "Some Thoughts On Video Pod casting." I enjoyed this podcast more than the previous one because it caught my attention better with the music. It was informative on how to decide on what kind of podcast you should do. The first thing you have to decide is who your audience is going to be, and after that how complex your subject is going to be and would it be helpful to add a video to your podcast to be more informative or to also keep the interest of your audience. In my opinion i believe a podcast should have some type of video so the listener's mind will not start wondering and the listener's attention will be focused on the podcast.
Ed Tech Talk & Connect Learning Podcast
I selected the Connect Learning episode 90 these creators were talking about connecting the teachers, students, and community through the podcast. I thought this was a great idea, because it allows students to use technology for help which i believe will allow kids to be more open with asking questions and learning. Also in Ed Tech Talk was about people who were answering questions that a girl had about Skype and helped her to fix her problem. I enjoyed the first two more than i did this one, but i did find it interesting in some ways because i have never used Skype before and i will most likely run into the same problems eventually. If teachers would just realize that there are many advantages for them and their students if podcast were used in the schools today.
Mac Break Weekly & This week in photography podcast
Mac Break Weekly and This week in photography was interesting and could be useful, but maybe not to educators. Mac Break Weekly mostly talks about new technology and the benefit of the use of them, while This week in photography connects people with all similar interest and it also addresses and any questions of that interest.
Media Literacy in the First grade
I believe media literacy is very important, and with these First graders they knew what they were talking about. You can tell that these kids are interested in learning and that they are media literate. You never once see a teacher telling these kids what to do or having to stand over them constantly. I did not even have a computer in my classroom when i was in First grade, so this just shocks me how this generations is so different from the one i came up in. Teachers this day in time will also have to step up and become media literate.
Little Kids, Big Potential
Wow this class is amazing! Am I ready to face kids like this? No, but i hope to be after this class. I am 20 years old and until this class i have never blogged before, so i hope i will be caught up with these kids after this semester. Also this is a great way to keep parents informed/involved on their children. You heard a couple of the students say that their parents had commented to them, and this also boost students will to learn and keep them interested. Great class!
Iphone being used by a One year old
This video did not shock me that much. For one i have already experienced the shock that a baby could use an iphone, and i have never even played around with one. I became aware of this while i was on a flight coming from New Jersey, and the couple i was sitting with had a 2 year old, who they were trying to keep occupied for the 3 hour flight. While the coloring books were not working the father gave her his phone for her to play with, and yes it was an iphone. This child was taking her own pictures and putting it as his background, and from what i could tell she was playing golf on it. So this is when i became aware that kids are more interested in technology than Barbie or GI Joe now.

3 comments:

  1. Sandra I totally agree with you about the guy that was ordering coffee in his podcast. I listened to one than one and he does that in most of them I thought that it was very hard to follow. I also liked the Kidcast! He was very easy to follow in my opinion. And about the child with the iPhone I too have given my one year old my iPhone to occupy her! LOL! It is is so funny to me that a child even her age would rather play with a phone than play with a baby doll. I enjoyed reading a blog Thanks!
    Amy Stork

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your posts. I think it is so crazy that children now days are so interested in technology! They will pick up on what adults do and by seeing mommy and daddy use the i phone all day I guess they pick up on how to work it...that is funny! I also like how you shared your personal stories in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra,

    You make a good point about the students being engaged in the learning process rather than sitting idle. Technology is allowing us to get students involved in their own learning by making them the captains of their own ships, if you will. My daughter can get on an educational website and work for hours and does not complain about being bored! We need to use their wonderment to our advantage as educators.

    ReplyDelete